The Health Effects Institute
HEI is a nonprofit corporation chartered in 1980 as an independent research organization to provide high-quality, impartial, and relevant science on the health effects of air pollution.
To accomplish its mission, HEI
• Identifies the highest priority areas for health effects research;
• Funds and oversees the conduct of research projects;
• Provides intensive independent review of HEI-supported and related research;
• Integrates HEI’s research results with those of other institutions into broader evaluations; and
• Communicates the results of HEI research and analyses to public and private decision makers.